Comment from: Justin Davis [Visitor]
**---
Justin DavisI love perl but I still love awk. For simple tasks awk is easier to use. Like your second example:

ls -l | awk '{ print $1, $3, $4 }'

Awk is worth knowing as well. My advice is don't dismiss awk like others dismiss perl.
09/29/11 @ 14:24
Comment from: Robin Smidsrød [Member] Email
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that each tool has its strengths, and I think awk and perl are useful for a lot of things. I'm guessing awk probably has a smaller memory footprint as well.

But I must admit that this use of awk as shown above is probably the only one I use on a regular basis. Perl, as the swiss army chainsaw it is, I use for most other text parsing/processing I need.
09/30/11 @ 14:45
Comment from: JRFerguson [Visitor]
*****
JRFergusonUsing:

ls -l | perl -lane 'print @F[0,2..3]

...should probably include some inter-field delimiter on output, e.g. :

ls -l | perl -lane 'print join q( ), @F[0,2..3]
10/03/11 @ 16:08
Comment from: Robin Smidsrød [Member] Email

perldoc perlvar shows that $LIST_SEPARATOR ($") is used to separate values in an array variable inside double-quoted strings. It's default value is a single space. This means you can use this construct to ensure you get a space:

ls -l | perl -lane 'print "@F[0,2..3]"'
10/03/11 @ 19:10
Comment from: lou fridkis [Visitor]
****-
lou fridkismy favorite:

ls -l | perl -lane '$sum+=$F[4];print "sum=$sum" if(eof)'

# print the total storage of the directory
10/11/11 @ 23:09
Comment from: andrez [Visitor] Email
*****
andrezit is excelent!i still love awk
as i compare perl lane can beat both "sed and awk" by the way can i know if you dont mind
how to translate this awk to perl one liner# iam newbe on perl#:

#!/bin/sh
for i in `cat $TMP/out#$d#$$ |awk '{print $4}' `
do
myloc=`grep $SITEX $TMPLOC/SITE_LOC | awk -F "|" '{print $2}' | sort -u `
cat filena#e#txt | grep $i | awk -v B=$myloc ' {printf#"%-8s %-20s %-25s %-10s %s %s %-30s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,""B""#}' >> outfile.txt
done
hope you can help me
Kind Regards
Andrez
07/04/12 @ 11:17
Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
***--
CraigWhy not just use: "cut -f1 -d' '"?
07/06/12 @ 04:47
Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
CraigPerl isn't a replacement for AWK, as I've heard all too often. The real value of AWK is that it acts as a filter by default. If you don't know much AWK and you do know Perl, it's fine to use what you know. But it's wrong to say Perl can replace the simplicity of AWK for writing the kind of small filters it's good at.
07/06/12 @ 04:52
Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
CraigNot to mention AWK is a POSIX/SuS/LSB standard utility and hence much more portable. If 2 languages can handle the task similarly and one is more portable than the other, portability always wins for me.
07/06/12 @ 04:56
Comment from: Robin Smidsrød [Member] Email
@Craig: Mostly because I don't know cut as intimately as I know perl. I actually had to look at the man page to be sure I understood it correctly.

@Andrez: Pulling that apart when it obviously relies on several unknown external variables is not easy. Maybe you should try to explain what it does in plain English instead of me trying to understand shell "golf".
07/08/12 @ 10:34
Comment from: juegos flash xo black [Visitor]
*****
juegos flash xo blackDe hecho no esta mal el escrito si bien es cierto
que le muestra falta de material y documentacion. Como sea consiste en un adecuado arranque.
Saludos.
09/06/14 @ 00:57
Comment from: nina davuluri bio [Visitor]
*****
nina davuluri bio"Michael Spiro is at the very top of his field as a performer and a teacher," said Steve Houghton, Jacobs professor of percussion and jazz.
This explains the incredible hostility Punks attracted from some members of the
general public. The authorities were in agreement with my decision.
09/06/14 @ 07:56
Comment from: videojuegos de mario [Visitor]
*****
videojuegos de marioEl estilpo y diseño de el presente website result ser extremadamente seductor.
¿Serias Tann Amable De darme a conocer pocos consejos de diseño y estilo?
Cordialmente Agradecido.
09/08/14 @ 04:47
Comment from: videojuegos pc 2014 [Visitor]
*****
videojuegos pc 2014Muy agradecido por difundir todos y cada uno de estos tricks.
Me cautiva tu weblog!
09/19/14 @ 18:42
*****
Car Dealerships West Palm BeachThanks designed for sharing such a nice thought, article is pleasant, thats why i have read
it fully
09/30/14 @ 08:50
Comment from: Lucie [Visitor]
*****
LucieIn reality, I don't recommend online only life support classes at all.
But you can_t be so sure that there will be no such incident happen in your life.
Every training requirement and demand gets accomplished in just few hours beginning from 8 hour to 30 hour course duration.
09/30/14 @ 23:38