Comment from: Justin Davis [Visitor]
**---
Justin DavisI love perl but I still love awk. For simple tasks awk is easier to use. Like your second example:

ls -l | awk '{ print $1, $3, $4 }'

Awk is worth knowing as well. My advice is don't dismiss awk like others dismiss perl.
09/29/11 @ 14:24
Comment from: Robin Smidsrød [Member] Email
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that each tool has its strengths, and I think awk and perl are useful for a lot of things. I'm guessing awk probably has a smaller memory footprint as well.

But I must admit that this use of awk as shown above is probably the only one I use on a regular basis. Perl, as the swiss army chainsaw it is, I use for most other text parsing/processing I need.
09/30/11 @ 14:45
Comment from: JRFerguson [Visitor]
*****
JRFergusonUsing:

ls -l | perl -lane 'print @F[0,2..3]

...should probably include some inter-field delimiter on output, e.g. :

ls -l | perl -lane 'print join q( ), @F[0,2..3]
10/03/11 @ 16:08
Comment from: Robin Smidsrød [Member] Email

perldoc perlvar shows that $LIST_SEPARATOR ($") is used to separate values in an array variable inside double-quoted strings. It's default value is a single space. This means you can use this construct to ensure you get a space:

ls -l | perl -lane 'print "@F[0,2..3]"'
10/03/11 @ 19:10
Comment from: lou fridkis [Visitor]
****-
lou fridkismy favorite:

ls -l | perl -lane '$sum+=$F[4];print "sum=$sum" if(eof)'

# print the total storage of the directory
10/11/11 @ 23:09
Comment from: andrez [Visitor] Email
*****
andrezit is excelent!i still love awk
as i compare perl lane can beat both "sed and awk" by the way can i know if you dont mind
how to translate this awk to perl one liner# iam newbe on perl#:

#!/bin/sh
for i in `cat $TMP/out#$d#$$ |awk '{print $4}' `
do
myloc=`grep $SITEX $TMPLOC/SITE_LOC | awk -F "|" '{print $2}' | sort -u `
cat filena#e#txt | grep $i | awk -v B=$myloc ' {printf#"%-8s %-20s %-25s %-10s %s %s %-30s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,""B""#}' >> outfile.txt
done
hope you can help me
Kind Regards
Andrez
07/04/12 @ 11:17
Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
***--
CraigWhy not just use: "cut -f1 -d' '"?
07/06/12 @ 04:47
Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
CraigPerl isn't a replacement for AWK, as I've heard all too often. The real value of AWK is that it acts as a filter by default. If you don't know much AWK and you do know Perl, it's fine to use what you know. But it's wrong to say Perl can replace the simplicity of AWK for writing the kind of small filters it's good at.
07/06/12 @ 04:52
Comment from: Craig [Visitor]
CraigNot to mention AWK is a POSIX/SuS/LSB standard utility and hence much more portable. If 2 languages can handle the task similarly and one is more portable than the other, portability always wins for me.
07/06/12 @ 04:56
Comment from: Robin Smidsrød [Member] Email
@Craig: Mostly because I don't know cut as intimately as I know perl. I actually had to look at the man page to be sure I understood it correctly.

@Andrez: Pulling that apart when it obviously relies on several unknown external variables is not easy. Maybe you should try to explain what it does in plain English instead of me trying to understand shell "golf".
07/08/12 @ 10:34
*****
http://miniURL.fouiner.infoTo uncover a lot more great data about how to purchase terrific
abs, go to thee Nett Wellness And Exercise Databases at Download ssix fre E-guides and E-reviews in addition to
a ton of fantastic physicaql fitnness annd wellness posts
and data. It can akso be wealthy in Vitamin B , sodium, calcium and iron for nourishing
your skin lager adequately and for obtaining rid of the deep wrinkles
involving ypur eye brows. Artificial scents which could contain MA contain grape,
currant, enthusiasm fruit, banana, lemon, tangerine, orange blossom, "citrus," "floral," andd "oriental.
12/19/14 @ 00:25